1. What does the term 'STACS' mean?
STACS refers to Securities Trading Asset Clearing & Settlements.
2. When was STACS launched and what range of products and services does the firm offer?
STACS was incorporated in February 2019 and headquartered in Singapore. STACS aims to empower financial institutions to issue, trade, clear and settle digital assets efficiently.
We build enterprise blockchains for finance, consisting of the underlying STACS (Securities Trading Asset Clearing and Settlement) Blockchain, and the front-end business user applications. Read more about us here.
3. Which entities does STACS provide offerings to?
STACS provide offerings to Financial institutions such as:
- Banks and Central Banks
- Stock Exchanges
- Platforms running on DLT
- Asset Management firms
4. What are some problems faced today by financial institutions in implementing blockchain?
Conversations with numerous financial institutions around the world have told us the below are regular problems faced in implementing blockchain:
- “We have performed many Blockchain POCs and established business use cases, but cant find a blockchain that can be scaled for full business production”
- “We need a Blockchain which can help us identify ultimate beneficiaries to benefit from exemption of withholding tax while keeping compliant with tax laws”
- “We want to use blockchains to reduce cost of bond origination, but the blockchain needs to have a functional UI for easy business usage”
- “We want to use blockchain to lower settlement cycle, but our Blockchain options are too expensive and take too long to deploy”
- “We want to enforce AML/KYC/investor eligibility using a blockchain solution that gives us the final veto right”
- “We need a blockchain that is built for regulatory requirements with overriding privilege”
- “We find that implementing blockchain systems tend to lead to creation of silos”
5. How is the business structured to cater for clients, and what are some unique advantages of STACS?
STACS enables financial institutions to implement DLT strategies effectively to equip them for the digital evolution in the financial industry through three core principals.
- Designed for Finance: STACS is built for Capital Markets by having design principles of confidentiality, flexibility and governance
- Connected network of Financial Institution participants: Breaking down silos for an ecosystem of live financial participants
- Production-ready: STACS is readily deployable, with the availability of front-end business user applications
STACS has existing projects around the world in asset management, bonds, structured products, clearing and settlement, as well as successful integration with a Central Bank-issued Digital Currency. Read more here
6. What systems can be integrated with STACS?
- Enterprise Databases
- Trading Platforms
- Payment Platforms
- Other External Platforms
- Applications built on top of the underlying Blockchain
7. Does STACS support smart contract?
Yes; STACS supports Solidity and Java for the smart contract layer
8. How do clients ensure data privacy?
Privacy features available for Business Users:
STACS has an in-built “Private Data” feature. This feature enables two or more institutions to engage in encrypted transactions while being in the same network as other participants. Hence, the contents of the particular transaction would be kept confidential from other parties of the same network.
In addition to the “Private Data” feature for transactions, STACS also enforces data integrity on the balances. This enforcement ensures that the combined balances of “Private Data” transactions will not exceed the available balance or spending limit.
9. How does STACS offer clients modular solutions?
STACS is able to support the end-to-end lifecycle management of digital assets, from issuance to maturity. In response to industry demand, STACS has also actively developed the following modular solutions:
- Enhancing the role of a Digital Custodian: STACS provides wallet usage for institutions holding assets to manage their respective keys.
- Bringing cost savings where netting and instant settlement will be more effecient, or supporting an institution in revenue-generating opportunities to take on a larger role in clearing and settlement: Netting, clearing and DvP options are available. STACS provides the ability to clear and settle atomically and instantly on-chain.
- Supporting payment-agnostic methods based on business requirements: Integrations with payment infrastructures such as CBDC and traditional means.
In addition to our market-ready STACS product suite, STACS SDK Environment is capable of hosting and managing multiple dApps, enabling institutions and external developers to build their own custom business applications on top of STACS to scale their business needs. The lifecycle of these business applications can be managed via the STACS SDK Environment.
10. How do clients create a digital representation of assets on the blockchain?
A digital representation of the asset can be created on an enterprise issuance application plugged into our underlying STACS blockchain ledger, or through the STACS Asset Issuance Platform we developed.
We also have more details of a super-app in Project Matrix coming soon.
11. How will transactions be approved? How does STACS benefit reporting in the industry?
STACS Policy enables Modular Consortium Governance, which provides fine-grained access control over each node’s authority in the network. This feature of Governance offers the ability to choose nodes required for approval and the level of involvement on the transactions.
Hence, veto privileges can be provided to central regulators, central banks or authorities. This special feature which STACS has developed could be further used to cater for complex governance arrangements and specific transaction types.
STACS enables near real-time viewing and monitoring of transactions to enhance reporting efficiencies, rather than end-of-month batch reporting.
12. What languages are supported by STACS?
- Customisable to business requirements
Technical language: Based on Java as a stable, established, secure programming language with global developer base
13. How do parties query the historical data to understand data provenance?
Users may query the STACS Blockchain Browser, an application plugged into the STACS Blockchain, to view transactions and data provenance. Permitted financial institutions and authorities may also use the Verified Partner Dashboard to track and query transactions.
14. How do clients know the outcome of a transaction?
Permitted financial institutions and authorities will be able to view the success, failed or disputed status of the asset issuance, trades, and manage the security lifecycle on STACS suite of platforms. Alternatively, existing functional applications can be plugged into the STACS Blockchain to perform the similar functions.
15. Is there any client/maintenance support available following deployment?
STACS is flexible to meet scalable business requirements and to support maintenance needs.